Tuesday 27 April 2010

Haworth moor






I spent a couple of days in September in Yorkshire, I chose this time of year because I wanted to see the purple heather on the moors. It was very spectacular. I visited the Bronte Parsonage Museum which is formerly the home of the Bronte family and where all of them lived and died. I followed the path behind the museum up to a ruin known as Top Withens, this is thought by some to be the inspiration for Wuthering Heights. I was lucky because I saw hardly any other walkers on my way, I was most inspired by the Bronte waterfalls and I sat in the Bronte chair which is where Emily Bronte is thought to have sat to admire the views. The Bronte chair has the C Bronte name carved into it which would be the initial of Charlotte Bronte, however I do not know whether she herself carved this and think it doubtful. The weather was quite wet and windy which enhanced the atmosphere though it obscured the views somewhat.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome isn't it? I have a painting of Top Withens in my living room which I absolutely love. When you are up there you do feel like you are at Wuthering Heights and can almost here Cathy's voice - or is it just the wind? :-)

    ReplyDelete